If we’re honest with ourselves, whilst we say that our life goals involve personal and career success (happiness, love, white picket fences, fitness, health and a kick-ass job all whilst donating an admirable amount of time and money helping the less fortunate and saving the world) all we really want is to find a way to eat all the yummy foods without being unhealthy and putting on weight.
Unfortunately, I am yet to discover such a miracle (don’t worry, I’m still looking) but what I have found is a snack that tastes naughty but is actually packed full of healthy nutrition! These cacao and date balls are to die for. As a long-term chocaholic, they give me my chocolate fix without the usual guilt and are a breeze to make!
Cocoa & Date Balls
- 1 cup Whole Medjool Dates or Pitted Dates *
- 1 cup Walnuts and/or Almonds
- ⅓ cup Cacao Powder or Cocoa Powder ^
- ⅓ cup Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Shredded Coconut (plus extra to serve)
- 1 tbs Chia Seeds
*If you are using medjool dates they will need to be pitted before your begin. If you are using pitted dates, soak them in warm water for 15 minutes before you begin.
^Whilst I have used cocoa in this batch, they are just as yummy (and even healthier) with cacao powder. You can get your hands on some at your local health food store.
- Add nuts, cocoa, shredded coconut, coconut oil and chia seeds to a blender or food processor and mix until a powder-like consistency.
- Add dates to the mix and process until combined. (If the mixture is too dry, add 1 tbs of water or coconut oil to the mix)
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Roll mixture into bite-sized balls.
- Roll the balls in additional shredded coconut.
- Store in the fridge to harden a little.
- Bon appétit!